Thursday, January 15, 2015

Self portrait, "I look weird"




I used clay to sculpt this very accurate version of my noggin. This was for the self portrait project and I can honestly say I can't draw or sculpt humans very realistically, nor do I really like to. So I took my face and exaggerated a wee bit and tried to keep my abstract style in there. The head so became too heavy and I had to insert a whole spine of aluminum wire to reinforce the neck. This project took me about four hours, ten plus if you include drying time. The clay was very forgiving and could be manipulated very well, I have Sasquatch hands so that helps too. Trying to balance the wire and not break the whole thing was the hard part, there were a few close calls. I'm pretty happy with the outcome of this sculpture, I think it really reflects my artistic style and helped me get a start with working with clay. The nose is magnificent but I'm most happy with the hair and the details on it. I feel this is A quality work, it's a little messy but that's a part of my style to an extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment